Monday, June 8, 2009

Gettin' Tight

I really love that phrase. "Gotta get tight." I cannot take credit for the phrase since I heard it during my 2L summer internship but I love it. It's my lifelong mantra since I feel like I've always had a struggle with weight and body issues. Just like most women, I am and probably will never be satisfied with my weight or the way I look.

Some of this might stem from being made fun as a kid. Since I am Chinese, being 5'7 with some meat automatically makes you big and fat. Being constantly criticized for genes you never asked for or called "Natasha Ng the fattest thing" does not do much for a girl's self esteem. This may have led to my lifelong jealousy of little Asian girls. Oh, how I used to crave to be little and cute.

Fast forward to now, I think I have come to accept most of my physical flaws and limited assets. While my early 20s weight fixes centered around unhealthy dieting and other drastic measures, I have started to just focus on being healthy and exercising consistently. I have set reasonable weight loss goals and learned to balance that third serving of fried chicken with another hour on the treadmill. In the end, I think I am okay with the way I look. I will never be that cute little Asian girl. But I can definitely beat them up.

P.S. To my cute little Asian girlfriends: I would never beat you guys up. Promise.

2 comments:

myking76 said...

eh...you don't wanna be built like a little boy anyway...your body type is more how women are supposed to be.

marie gets married said...

miso would be sad if you beat me up. Not that I'm that little, I'm just short.