Saturday, January 10, 2009

Paley's Place

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of eating at Paley's Place in Portland, Oregon. I'm on a little vacation up here and the biggest highlight (besides seeing my old friends) is trying out this restaurant. What started out as a joke ended up being one of the best meals I have had.

The restaurant design and atmosphere was awesome. Paley's Place is my idea of the perfect restaurant in terms of the look and feel. First, the restaurant isn't all that big. When I made my original reservation for 10, they told me that was the maximum they could accomodate at the location. According to their website, it can only seat about 50 people. Second, the atmoshphere was not stuffy and the tables weren't that close together. That means you can have a conversation without shouting over people and that you don't feel so rushed with your meal.

I ended ordering the Lamb Shank braised in a red wine sauce. I would rank the lamb at Paley's in the top 3 lamb dishes I have ever had. Perhaps behind the old Clementine but not by much. For dessert, I shared the the penna cotta with quince and a warm chocolate puddy cake that was steamed baked and some sort of cream. It was delicious. The really enjoyed the consistency of the chocolate cake. It had enough structure to hold but was also mushy and soft enough to melt in your mouth. I loved them both but I think I was most impressed by the chocolate cake.

The service was wonderful and very attentive. They were very attentive and I was impressed by the server's preparation and attention to Marie's dietary restriction.

In the end, I was so very much satisfied. Maybe it's because I'm growing up but nothing makes me more happy than eating a 2 1/2 hour meal with great food, friends, and conversation.

p.s. I miss Miso

XOXO

No comments: