Thursday, January 29, 2009

Meet Me At the Altar With With Your White Dress . . .

Throughout most of my adult life, I have been allergic to weddings. Allergic might be an overstatement. Perhaps "have not always enjoyed" is a better term. I have always thought that they were a waste of money and just overdone. Plus the whole afraid of commitment thing. So, when I found out that my bff Anne and my buddy Marie were getting married, I was scared. I was scared that everything would be wedding centric and that it would be suffocating. I even got anxious when I bought Marie a subscription to Modern Bride. The thought that we'd be getting bridal magazines freaked me out.

But . . . it really isn't bad. Maybe it's because I'm growing up or what. Or maybe it's because the word "commitment" doesn't scare me as much. I actually enjoy talking about wedding planning. As long as I am not planning my own, it's fun. I have always enjoyed event planning. I love planning dinners and other fun events. (See, Pumpkin Carving Extravaganza 2006 and 2007). Perhaps it's residual from my sorority days. What sorority girl can resist a themed party? I know I can't. Even my dinner nights were themed. (Mexican, Chinese, Moroccan)

Perhaps this change has to do with the fact that I really do care about the people who are getting married. Not to say that I haven't cared about other people but Marie and Anne mean a lot to me. I want them to be happy and I know that having the wedding they envisioned will make them happy. With that in mind, I don't mind looking at venues, dresses, or other fun wedding stuff. I think I have a special knack for wedding favors. Who knew?

2 comments:

marie gets married said...

Awww, I made the blog! An I'm not sure we ever had Moroccan themed dinner...but we should have for sure!

Anne said...

Aww, you're so sweet, Tashi! You know your post is just inviting a bombardment of wedding planning-related chaos.

I am personally alternating between excitement and enthusiasm and wanting to roll my eyes and gag. I understand if you don't want to do the research. I think it's 80% lame and only 20% fun. I appreciate you volunteering to help me plan though! You're truly an awesome BFF!