Tuesday, March 17, 2009

BART

When I am working, I ride BART downtown. The morning commute has its own culture, set of rules and customs. And some interesting people. This is what I have noticed thus far:

1. If you are plan on standing there as the escalator goes up/down stand to the right. If not, you will get the inevitable "Excussssssse me" as the lady with the suit and tennis shoes pushes past you to catch that phantom train that hasn't even arrived yet.

2. Don't make eye contact while riding the train. I made this mistake during my first forlay into the BART commuter culture during my 2L summer internship. People think you are weird. Just close your eyes or read your book like everyone else.

3. If you don't have you iPod on, you are also weird.

4. There's always that one stragger that fails to realize the concept that you are suppose to line up while waiting for the BART. You know who you are. You pretend like you just got there and try to squeeze your way in when the doors open. You suck. Your suit and tie gives away your defense of ignorance.

5. To the idiots that bum rush the doors to get into the train. People actually need to get off the train. Who knew? Get out of the way. The bus will not magically run away in the next five seconds. For reals.

6. To the idiot that tries to sneak your way on the train but ends up getting stuck in the door. You are stuck in a BART door. Everyone is staring at you and secretly hopes the train goes forward a couple of feet. It doesn't hurt but that's what you get. Idiot.

7. If you catch some of the later trains, let's say about 10:30, you can meet the most interesting people. A couple of weeks ago I saw a lady dressed as the Statute of Liberty. Oh, and a while back, I saw a lady bring her pet rooster/chicken thing on the train. In a paper bag. And she was coo'ing to it. Dinner or a pet. Not sure.

Perhaps when I get a permanent job I can be truly accepted into the BART commuter culture. I think I'm ready. I've got my walking shoes, library books, and iPod. I'm ready to go. Please don't reject me.

3 comments:

Ariel said...

you should see some of the people who ride the subways in NYC...crazies!

Anne said...

I think the eye contact thing is a side effect of living in Oregon for three years. When I move back to a real city, people are going to try to punch me for smiling at them and making eye contact.
And I feel you on the other stuff. There is a code of conduct for public transportation. Violations deserve a punch in the face. Or, some serious eye contact. I think they might be equally unpleasant to the violator.

marie gets married said...

My personal favorite train riders are the ones who stand with their backpacks in my book when the rest of the train is empty. There should be a spread out if the train is empty rule.