Sunday, March 1, 2009

Lent 2009

Even though I'm not Catholic, I have participated in the "giving something up" part of Lent for the past 6 or so years. Rather than a religious exercise, I look at giving something up as more of a mental challenge. I think out of the six years, I was only able to go the whole 40 days and 40 nights once. ONCE. Here are some prior things I have given up:

1. Meat (lasted a day)
2. Alcohol (lasted about 2 weeks)
3. Swearing (lasted about 1/2 a day)
4. Chocolate (this one actually stuck)
* I don't remember the last two. I do remember that they were complete failures.*

So this year, I decided to go all out and give up more than one thing. I am going to give up three things: Boys, bacon and sausage. All three are greasy, full of fat and only provide temporary satisfaction. Oh yea, all three will play some part in a drunken Friday night.

The last two will be the most difficult. I faced my first challenge yesterday during Saturday morning breakfast at Howard's End in the Sunset. I wanted an omelet. All but three of their omelets had bacon or sausage in it. So I ended up having to order a veggie omelet because the other two options involved ground beef and ham, both of which I was not feeling for. It is going to be a long road to Easter.

2 comments:

Amy E. said...

No bacon? Are you insane?

P.S. I secretly totally read your blog.

marie gets married said...

fried foods one year. That one you stuck with for awhile, if I recall.