Sunday, April 12, 2009

Love Not Actually

This past week, I watched Love Actually. It was billed the "Ultimate Romantic Comedy." I should have known. I normally wouldn't have cared for a movie like this but some people told me that I would actually like this one. Wrong. I guess I should not be too surprised. But it got me thinking: "What happened to romantic comedy-loving Natasha?" About three/four years ago, I would have LOVED this movie. Somewhere down the line, I have morphed into this jaded, rom-com bashing, cynical HATER. H to the R. HATER.

But I don't just hate on rom-coms. Apparently, I hate on baby showers, bridal showers and all sorts of organized party games. Is this the real me? Have I been romantically screwed over so bad that it is necessary to roll my eyes everytime I see goggly eyes and romantic declarations of love? Nah. Every girl has met a couple of a**holes in their lives and I am no exception. But I think I've been pretty lucky.

So, as of today, I am making a new change in my life. Since I seem to be changing my hair, my lifestyle, my friends, my life direction, I mind as well change this as well. I will now strive to be less jaded. I will cuddle. I will not cringe at the Ultimate Romantic Comedy. I will touch my feelings more often. And when a special boy looks into my eyes, I will actually look back.

1 comment:

Anne said...

I fear I may have contributed to your cynicism just as much as every douchebag who has screwed you over. But really, what's the value of loving every single rom-com that these huge production companies market to you? What do you actually learn about love from watching the prime minister of Britain fall in love with his maid? You may be out of touch with Hallmark love, but I don't think it's such a bad thing. But you know my motto: "Down with love!" Of course, I kid, I kid. I love love. I love to love.